Sunday, February 27, 2011

People are hungry for God not a perfectly executed guitar solo.

15986-620x-Picture%203_png

I never want to lead worship just because I can.

I never want to preach just because I can.

I never want to encourage someone just because I can.

I never want to sing just because I can.

I never want to be in a leadership role just because I can.

I want everything I do to be based solely on Christ and come out of an overflow of my growing intimacy with Him.

I see too many in ministry who are leading people simply because they are talented, and because they can do it. This is sad.  Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with being talented, but apart from Christ our talent will only get us so far. It will only take those we are leading so far.

We live in a world where we are bombarded with images, songs and movies all clearly displaying people’s talent, and yet we live in a society that is dying to hear of the living Jesus.  They are hungry for unconditional & unfailing love and an intimate relationship that brings wholeness, joy, peace, hope and true satisfaction.  Something that is real.

“Excellence has become our god, and God our motivation behind it”.  I firmly believe that God deserves the best of the best, but when that is raised as more important than having an growing relationship with God, I don’t think that God is honoured to the fullest.  It’s easy to tell the difference between a worship leader, or pastor who has spent time growing intimate with God and one who hasn’t, even if they are incredibly talented.

I don’t claim to have this all figured out. I don’t claim to be even close to knowing what it means to be intimate with God and function out of that, and I definitely don’t have a problem with guitar solos. I just think its easy in our society today to miss out on what’s truly important in our lives.

God teach us the ways of Your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment