Sunday, September 25, 2011

How 21kms changed my life.



It's 7:30pm and I am not the same person I was when I got up 13 hours ago, let alone when I began training 12 weeks ago. I signed up for a Marathon that was way over my head. I am not a runner, I barely like to walk very far, but when this request came up in my Facebook events, God gripped my heart and dared me to do it. What started out as a fundraiser for women in Uganda quickly became a test of commitment, endurance and obedience. I can list countless resolutions and endeavours that I've started out strong on and in the end they just fizzled away and were left unachieved. This was my chance to change my own history and at the same time transform the lives of women across the globe. 

I woke up this morning determined to run for those who couldn't run for themselves. Those whom no one was standing up for, those who had been abused, rejected, disrespected, violated and are daily living with the consequences of other people's actions. They have suffered a lifetime, the least I could do was suffer for a day.
The Marathon was gruelling and I wanted to give up so many times, but I just kept putting one foot, slowly, in front of the other and eventually that led to the finish line. 


I finished a 21km marathon - thats huge! But the best part of it was that with each step I broke every lie that the enemy has ever told me like "you can't do this", "you will never achieve what you set your mind too", "you always give up", and "your dreams are too big".  This day will forever remain etched in my mind as the day I believed in myself and through Christ's strength accomplished what, to me, was the impossible.  Nothing is too big for God to accomplish through His children and I am so excited that I am finally understanding that!

What is your dream? What is holding you back from accomplishing the impossible? When is the last time you set your heart on a task that was way beyond you and would take divine intervention to complete? 

Don't let lies hold you back! In the hands & will of your Saviour you are capable of far more than you can imagine. I firmly believe that God has destined each one of us for greatness and its just a matter of us being willing and open to whatever he puts in our paths! 

Before I sign off I want to give a huge shout out to my friend Joryli who was my running partner today. She is such an incredible woman of God who is full of encouragement, strength and such a sweet sweet spirit. She could've finished the marathon way ahead of time but instead she stuck it out with me and saw me through to the end.  She is such an amazing friend and I am so thankful for her!

Heres to many more "impossibles" being conquered.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Thank you Jess! You are totally amazing, and I admire you so much for running that marathon. You've encouraged me to conquer some big dreams :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Jess. I barely recognize you anymore, you have grown so much . You are loved by the King , and by me. Keep dreamin and doin the impossible.

    ReplyDelete