Tuesday, March 8, 2011

There is real life happening beyond that screen.


Today I was reading a Gentlemans Guide to Survival in the 21st Century , which I highly recommend all guys to read by the way, and it really hit me. For the past little while the iPhone obsession has annoyed me, and being a iPhone user myself I too am at fault here.
#3 on the guide says:
“Keep your Blackberry, your Blueberry, or your Chuck Berry in your pocket while in good company.  There is a time and a place for your iPad, iPhone, and iPod.  At the dinner table with family, coffee with friends, or on a date is not that place.  Show some respect.  Make eye contact.  The world won’t stop spinning because you haven’t updated your Facebook status for an hour.”
What a concept! You mean actually pay attention to the people I am talking/ hanging out with instead of spending every minute texting or calling people outside the group?  We are never “here” because though physically we may be one place with a group of people we are always a different place mentally with other people via texting. 
Oh the 21st century and your technology, what have you done to us!
Here’s my challenge: When you’re with friends, whether it be 1 or 10, put your phone away. You won’t always have these people around so cherish the time because your phone will wait. Stop making excuses and be with your friends, fully.
(and for all you reading this I invite you to hold me accountable, because I myself have been guilty of this.)

2 comments:

  1. Very True. Here's some irony for you...When you're with friend "A" You're Texting Friend "B" when you're with Friend "B" You're texting Friend "C" and so on and so.

    ReplyDelete