Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Thinking out loud


I recently read Proverbs 4, and a few verses stuck out to me and won't leave my mind.
Lets start at verses 5-7
"Get wisdom, get understanding; do not forget my words or swerve from them.
Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you.
Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding"
I've been thinking a lot about wisdom lately, and it just so happens that I have been reading about it a lot in the bible. From what I understand God thinks wisdom and understanding are of utmost importance.But what does it mean to be wise? What does it mean to have understanding?
A non-believer once told me that I am wise beyond my years, somedays I agree but other days not so much. The dictionary describes wisdom as knowledge of what is true joined with judgement between what is right and wrong. Hmm. I think i understand that. But for some reason I am finding it hard to process this and make whats in my heart compute with my brain.
God Grant me wisdom and understanding, not for my own gain, but that I can help others and further your kingdom.
The next verse that has me thinking is vs. 23
"Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life"
What exactly does guarding my heart look like? I don't think it's about putting up walls and being closed off to people, and I know its much deeper then I can comprehend.
As I have entered into a new season in my life I have come to realize that I haven't guarded my heart very well. We all know that physically our heart is one of the main organs that keeps us alive, well the same is true spiritually. When our hearts are heavy and burdened the rest of us is as well. In the bible it says "from the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks" Its easy to tell where some peoples hearts are at by the way they speak. It is our lifes wellspring. That really puts it into perspective. I need to guard my heart from becoming bitter and hardened because of past issues. I am a person that trusts people easily, and sometimes I give my heart away to quickly, which usually leads to getting hurt.
I really do have lots to learn.
God teach me how to guard my heart, and in the meantime please protect it.
**This entry is kind of all over the place, im still trying to sort all this out, if you have anything youd like to add feel free!

No comments:

Post a Comment