Thursday, October 14, 2010

I pray for this heart to be unbroken.


There is something wrong with the way we date if it comes with the risk of losing each others friendship. I feel like the term "dating" puts so much pressure on 2 people to act a certain way and express emotions and pleasure in ways that aren't supposed to yet be awakened. (Song of Solomon 2:7) What if dating was just continuing to be best friends instead of dragging each other through temptation and other enslaving & scarring habits hoping to make it through? That's not love nor does it show respect for the other person.
I'm not saying its wrong to kiss, or hold hands cause I can't say that I would refrain from either until marriage. But love isn't making out in a car, it's not seeing how far you can go without getting burnt, it's not giving everything to someone in hopes that they will be with you forever.
Love is choosing to put someone before yourself, thinking of their best before your own, its a daily choice. In dating its so easy to give yourself emotionally and physically to someone because our society has taught us that that is what you do, thats just how it works.
But I propose that we date as friends, treating each other with the utmost respect, choosing to wait until marriage to be physical, not giving into temptation and being the same couple in front of people as you are alone. Choosing to live in such a way that even if it doesn't work out you can still be friends.
I'm sure it's not as easy as it sounds but I think its possible.
This is what I've been challenged with today and I haven't fully thought it all out but I think it's worth taking the time to contemplate.

No comments:

Post a Comment