Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Rock what you got.

I have never been one who cares to keep up with the latest trends. In fact I usually wait till they are out of season to purchase them because they are far cheaper. I care about how I look and dress but not to the point of making society or anyone else happy. When I was in grade 7-9 I went through an anti-comformity stage. I wore skirts over jeans, pants with “apple” patches (which I absolutely loved at the time) and I didn’t care much about make up. In my younger years I was definitely a tom boy. I didn’t start wearing dresses till grad and I definitely didn’t start wearing heels regularly till my first year in college. I’m the kind of girl that wears summery flower dresses in fall, in which apparently your supposed to wear scarves, sweaters and boots. I’m the kind of girl that gets the freebie phones that are so technologically behind that it can’t even update my Facebook status. I have an IPod that isn’t a touch and it no longer exists in stores.

Every time I go shopping I feel the pressure to buy certain articles of clothing in order to fit in with everyone else around me. There is nothing wrong with how the people around me dress, in fact I think they are all quite stylish. But there was one time this summer where I set out to buy a certain article of clothing but every time I tried it on, I felt a part of myself dying. I didn’t feel like me in them. I knew that the only reason I would be buying them was to make certain people notice and then perhaps they would like me more. But that’s not me.

I like sneakers more than flats. I like flared jeans more than skinny jeans. I like jackets  more than pea coats. I like sweaters more than cardigans.

There is nothing wrong with these things, in fact I just bought a pair of skinny jeans that I really like.  I’ll never be the “trendy girl”, at least not in the eyes of society, but I am really quite fine with that. I’d rather wear the clothes I like and be confident then always wear the latest fashions and my self esteem be a mess. 

Never dress  to impress, be confident in who you are and what you are comfortable wearing and if that’s the latest trends then rock them and if its not then rock that too.

Bottom line: Be yourself, whatever that looks like!

1 comment:

  1. I love my skinny jeans,even though T makes fun that I am dressing like I was 20 years old.lol

    ReplyDelete